Learning piano with you has helped me become a better piano player. – Anjali N. (Student)
At Harris Academy, we pride ourselves on offering quality music education. Our university trained instructors teach students all facets needed to be skilled pianists, including music theory, technique and artistry. Our two annual recitals also serve as an opportunity for instructors to teach performance technique and etiquette.
Age to Start
- When deciding if your child is ready for piano lessons, factors to consider are attention span, letter recognition, maturity, and the ability to read.child attention span, letter recognition, maturity, and the ability to read.
- We generally recommend starting students in piano lessons no earlier than the age of 5 years; however, this age is not a clear cut rule.
- Younger students who may not be ready for private lessons but who wish to get involved in music are encouraged to explore our Kindermusik and Children’s Music Academy programs.
Electric Keyboard vs. Piano
- Most piano instructors agree that an acoustic piano is the ideal instrument of choice when learning to play the piano.
- However, there are impressive options for electric keyboards.
- Look for these features in a quality electric keyboard:
- A full size keyboard – 88 keys is important for learning the geography of the keyboard.
- Touch sensitive and weighted keys – necessary for students to correctly develop muscles in fingers and arms, as well as learn proper technique and musicality.
- An attached pedal – does not move around on the floor when pressed and produce a higher quality “sustain”.
View our private piano lesson availability.